Well, this has taken longer to pull together than expected, but then again, what doesn’t? Life is life, all delightful and messy and complicated, but we do eventually get there, don’t we? Or at least we get somewhere. Usually.
Last week I was nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award, which is a fun way for one blogger to reach out to another. The way it works is this:
1 – You answer the (usually 11) questions are sent to you, then
2 – You nominate some (usually 11, but not in this case) other bloggers, and finally
3 – Present your nominees with questions (again, usually 11) of your own devising.
So here goes. And big big thanks to DMG Byrnes for nominating me.
Part One, questions from DMG to me:
- If you’re a Harry Potter fan, do you enjoy the movies?
I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and I love the books and the movies. My family jokes that the only movies I ever want to watch are Harry Potter movies. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, it’s funny because it’s true. The movies are like comfort food to me. That said, I have read each of the books at least three times, and I’ve read the first four in Spanish.
- Do you have a preference for hard copy books or ebooks?
Definitely hard copy books. E-books are great if you are traveling or otherwise want to have a bunch of books with you without causing back strain, but for day to day reading, holding a real book in your hands can’t be beat. For one thing, I’m constantly flipping back and forth between pages, which can be hard to do with an e-book.
- Do you have a story you want to write but keep putting it off for some reason? If so, why?
I have several. Time constraints are one reason, and a cluttered brain is another. Some weeks and months are easier than others. If I’ve had a particularly productive month, like when I did National Novel Writing Month or Camp NaNo, the subsequent month is usually not so hot, because of all the catching up I have to do in other areas of my life. Also, of course, there is the fear of not getting the things that have been bouncing around in my head right when I put them on the page.
- How long have you been blogging?
Off and on for about five years, but more seriously since last year – and with my current blog, really only a few months. (There has been a lot of trial and a lot of error, but I’m working on it.)
- How do you deal with self-doubt?
Mostly I try to ignore it. I know that most everyone experiences it, no matter how talented or competent they are. Some are able to push through, while others don’t. I try to be one of the ones that push through.
- Have you been to a writer’s conference? Or do you plan to soon/this year?
Not yet. Maybe in 2017.
- Do you have a favorite hat? If so, what is it?
I don’t wear hats, except in the dead of winter. When it’s really cold out, my favorite hat is the warmest one I can find.
- What is one writing (or other) goal you’ve set and met so far?
Completing National Novel Writing Month last year. I didn’t finish the book, but it’s about 2/3 done, and I know what comes next. The trick is finding the time and peace to actually do it. (See #3 above.)
- What is your favorite medium of visual art? (painting, sketch, sculpture, photo, etc.)
As an artist, probably photography. I’m hopeless at anything else, which has always made me sad. As a fan, it would be hard to pick a favorite – I guess I love them all equally.
- You’re leaving the house for the day and are bringing a bag of things you need/stuff to do. What are 5 things you’re definitely bringing. (Assume no catastrophe, just a day away from your home/working area).
My bullet journal, my pack of multicolored pens, my phone, sunglasses if it’s daytime, and a book if I there’s a chance I’ll have any down time. And my keys. Is that six?
- Name something on your bucket list.
I don’t have a bucket list per se, but have often said that if I did, seeing the Northern Lights would definitely go on it.
Part Two, My Nominees:
I hereby officially nominate the following folks, whose blogs are definitely worth a visit:
Kim Bailey Deal
A Marie Silver
Part Three, My Questions:
- Do you have a motto, or a quote that you try to live by?
- How is being an adult different from what you expected?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
- Is there anything you are bad at – really bad at – that you enjoy doing anyway?
- Plotter, pantser, or something in between?
- What do you remember most vividly about your childhood?
- What is the most unusual thing about your blog?
- What one thing would you grab (aside from people and pets) if there was a fire?
- When did you know you were an adult?
- Where was your last vacation?
- Did you notice that these questions are in alphabetical order?
And if you are reading this and want to answer my questions, please do!
(Sunshine photo via Brandon Schauer via Flickr.)